Changing Google Chrome user agent string in Ubuntu 11.04

Posted: May 24, 2011 in Ubuntu
Tags: ,

Hello folks. Let’s see today how we can access sites that just accept for example Internet Explorer or where network that just accept the use of Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome. Many cases, the control of that is made by browser’s user agent string. To change that in Google Chrome, follow the steps below.

  • Press super key and search by System Settings
  • In Personal category, click on Main Menu item. A window will be opened like below.
  • In Menus, select Internet, in Items select Google Chrome/Chromium Web Browser and after click on Properties button . Another window will be opened like below.

  • In command field change the string %U to something like that:

  • --user-agent='Mozilla/4.0 (X11; U; i686; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu/11.04 Chrome/11.0.342.1 Safari/533.2'

    For example, in my case, this field is filled up with:

    /usr/bin/chromium-browser %U

    and I have changed to:

    /usr/bin/chromium-browser --user-agent='Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; i686; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu/11.04 Chrome/11.0.342.1 Safari/533.2'

    Restart the Google Chrome and try to access that site you didn’t have access.

    That’s it. See you next time.

    Advertisements
    Comments
    1. I didn’t know that.

    2. aaron says:

      do you know how to do this with 11.10 the instructions are off in the newer ubuntu

    Leave a Reply

    Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

    WordPress.com Logo

    You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

    Twitter picture

    You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

    Facebook photo

    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

    Google+ photo

    You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

    Connecting to %s